Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Day in El Peru

The night before thanksgiving the Doc told me that Alfonso had turkeys at his house, so we asked him that night when we got to 38 about it and he said that he didn’t have turkeys and never had. Not sure where those wires got crossed, but it was kind of funny. Lol. At first, when we were going to get the turkey from Alfonso, I thought I was going to have to de-feather it and season and cook it. Good thing I didn’t have to de-feather it because number one, I don’t think we had a pot big enough to boil it in so the feathers would come off, and number two, I would have been guessing on how to do it. Lol. I was kind of excited to figure it out anyway. I called my mom the night before and asked her how to season the turkey and how long to cook it and all that cuz I was really worried about messing up the Thanksgiving Day Turkey. So, Rach and I ended up going to Pucallpa the next morning to buy one because you can’t buy one in Campo Verde. I assumed that it would be like every other meat you purchase here, freshly killed that morning, but surprisingly the lady who sells the turkeys sells them frozen. Who knew you could buy a frozen turkey in Peru? Lima, yea, but here? Anyway, I got worried because I didn’t think there would be any way to get it done before dinner that night. Anyway, so as not to bore you, I’ll cut this short and tell you that I seasoned it and took it to Campo to be cooked by a lady because our oven needs a little help in the consistency department and then I carved it and everybody thought it was the best thing ever! I was happy that it turned out. We also had sweet potatoe casserole, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, apple pie, and pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, gravy gluten for the vegetarians, stuffing. We got a lot of the stuff in a box that Jenessa’s mom sent here, otherwise I don’t think it would have turned out as nicely. We worked really hard and it turned out amazing! After dinner we all went around the table and said one to three things we were thankful for, it felt like a real thanksgiving with a family!

No comments:

Post a Comment